Friday, May 1, 2015

Google Tools

I began working with a group of teachers on a collaborative project using virtual meeting place and tools.  We initially communicated using Gmail and  the g-chat function associated with it.  When we began to brainstorm about survey questions for our project I suggested we start a Google doc.  I assumed at this point almost all teachers or professionals have used a Google doc at least once.   To my surprise this was their first time using one for collaborative purposes.  I found it humorous that they would stop typing when they saw someone else beginning to type, as if we were really having a conversation and they didn’t want to interrupt.  They quickly became acclimated with the new etiquette and we really made some progress.  The ability to see what others are typing and edit/proofread it immediately saved us a ton of time.  Google has done a great job of creating tools that make it easy for people to collaborate in real time as well as offer other tools that are compatible and user friendly.  Once our questions were created and agreed upon, I recommended we use Google forms as our survey device.  My background in Google tools led me to create the form, however the ease at which I was able to do it, increased the willingness of my group members to try it on their own.  That is what the course is about, professional learning networks.  Learning from others in order to better our selves and our crafts.  It also made me not assume that everyone I work with has the same knowledge of tools and should help them with any tool I am familiar with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment